The Master in Portuguese-Speaking Countries Studies belongs to international relations branch of academic studies. This Master is the only non-language research program towards Portuguese-speaking Countries in Macau SAR and is the third to be open around the world. This program has been developed according to the requirements of Chinese Central Government to blend Macau SAR into ‘The Belt and Road’ Initiative and to make Macau an economic and trade platform for cooperation between China and Portuguese-speaking Countries. Furthermore, the program is in line with the students demand of Macau SAR and with the City University target of developing cross-disciplinary research.
Likewise, the program involves studies on society, economy, culture, law, international relations and governance. It is taught by experienced international professors, holding a reputed professional academic background and teaching/pedagogic merits. The Academic Advisory Board is composed of scholars from Tsinghua University, Peking University, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Catholic university of Portugal, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Sun Yat-sen University (People’s Republic of China), Jilin University, and Jinan University etc. During the length of studies, students will have the opportunity to join overseas visits, to be involved in joint research, and participate in students exchanges.
1. Emphasis on synergies between theories and practices;
2. Strengthen on the ability of Portuguese-related studying;
3. Professors with multi-cultural background;
4. Offers two areas od specialization: Studies on the development and governance of Portuguese-speaking Countries and Studies on Relations between China and Portuguese-speaking Countries.
1. Public operators - Government departments and foreign institutions.
2. Diplomatic operators – Embassies, consulates and International Organizations.
3. Entrepreneurs - Transnational enterprises and private corporations.
4. Communication agents - Media organizations.
5. PhD candidates.
Administrative Order 14/2017 – Secretariat for Social and Cultural Affairs
|Subjects (Taught in Chinese and English)||Credits|
|Theoretical and Language Background (Compulsory)|
|Colonial and Post-Colonial Theories||3|
|Research on Theories of Regional Development and Governance||3|
|Theories and Practices of Cross-cultural Communication||3|
|Professional Specialization (Optional- 9 Credits)|
Studies on the development and governance
of Portuguese-speaking Countries
|Studies on Transformations and Portuguese-speaking Countries Parity||3|
|History, Culture and Development of Brazil||3|
|Comparative Studies on the Development Between Asian and African Portuguese-speaking Countries||3|
China and the Portuguese-speaking Countries: Trade, Investment and Cooperation
|Macao and Portuguese-speaking Countries||3|
Themes of Comparative Legal Systems between
* Students are exempted if they received an undergraduate major in Portuguese.
Medium of Introduction: Chinese/English
Length of Study : 2 Years